photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, September 3, 2007

Martha Stewart Sells her Homes

Okay, so she's never actually lived in them, but the houses Martha Stewart has designed and is currently selling with KB Home are inspired by her personal homes in The Hamptons, Maine, and Upstate New York. The only neighborhood selling these homes in Texas is about ten minutes away from me, so I convinced Fabian to go check them out with me a couple of weekends ago. Initially, I was skeptical because KB Home is not thought of as an upscale builder, but after visiting the Martha Stewart model homes, they have convinced me otherwise. Ever since that first visit, I have become a woman obsessed. I must have one of these Martha Stewart homes. Unfortunately, we are not in the market for a new home. We just bought our current house 17 months ago and it wouldn't be wise to sell with the market the way it is right now.


Now, as most of you know, I'm constantly talking about how much I miss the city and that we will move back in a few years when we will hopefully be able to afford to live in a beautiful home inside the loop. However, I seem to be regressing. Remember that post a couple of weeks ago when I described the strange force that was taking over me? You know, the one that made me feel like it might be alright to stay in the suburbs. Well, these Martha Stewart homes aren't helping my cause. I would gladly move 10 minutes further west than we already are if I could live in one of these homes. They have everything the homes inside Houston's 610 loop have. They have all the charm of old homes: wainscoting, subway tile, hexagon tile, coffered ceilings, picture frame windows, but they are new, so you won't have any of the pesky inconveniences of an older home like small closets. These homes have some amazing features like libraries, 3-way floor to ceiling dressing mirrors, enormous closets, mud rooms, and some seriously gorgeous kitchens. A similar home would cost upwards of $ 2 million in Houston's West University, Southampton, or River Oaks areas, but they are a fraction of that price in this community. You just have to be willing to drive into town.


As promised, I went back yesterday and covertly snapped some pictures for my files. In the event that these homes sell out before we are ready to buy, I will have pictures and floor plans to show a custom home builder. There are about 60 pictures, so I created some slide shows for you to see, but I don't think I will be able to add them into the post, so I will post the links instead. On our first visit, I fell in love with the Lily Pond home, but after visiting a second time, I think I love the Katonah home even more, though would choose a different elevation. It is a very open floor plan and would be fabulous for entertaining.

Katonah Model
Katonah 2
Katonah 3
Lily Pond
Lily Pond 2

12 comments:

Sheri said...

OMG! That has me wanting to move, too. Daniel and I were just talking about her teaming up with KB, and we couldn't figure out why on earth she would go with KB. There reputation is horrible. I must say that those homes are gorgeous though.

Unknown said...

I thought the same thing about KB, but apparently they are trying to move their image in a different direction and they have higher end communities in other parts of the country. I was so skeptical, but I was so impressed by those homes.

Tricia said...

Let me give you my oh so wise Realtor opinion. KB's quality over the last few years has drastically improved. In fact, they are par with the other builders. However, it takes a LONG time to improve an image. I would have no problem living in a KB home, except the resale would be horrendous at this point in time. I think it will take many years before they overcome the image they have now.

I am going to have to agree with you. The homes are gorgeous. I want to go look just to get ideas for the girl's bathroom (we are about to start that project) and the guest bath.

Unknown said...

I totally agree about the company's image. I still find it so odd that Martha would have chosen to go with them.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The outside does not do justice to the inside. Are there only a limited edition of them? I like the Katonah better too. Love the family room up stairs!

Sheri said...

Paloma, I think I can take one guess as to why she would go with them...$$$. :D

A company like that would have to shell out a lot of dough to get their reputation back on track.

I showed your pics to Daniel (who BTW was very impressed with your skill with the camera), and we agreed that it would make a great home once we upgrade. That won't be until a while after I get a job though. :P

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sheri, I'm sure you are right. Thanks to Daniel for the compliment. You should have seen us taking those pictures! They have signs in front of the houses that say "No Photography Please", so we did a fast and furious job. I'm sorry, but I had to have some pictures for future reference!

Sheri, you guys really should go check them out just for kicks if you have a chance. They are even more impressive in person!

Leah, the answer to your question is yes and no. Woodcreek Reserve is the only community in Texas that Martha plans to build in. They want to keep it exclusive, so they are only building 80 Martha houses (the neighborhood also has custom home builders). It just depends on how long it takes them to sell 80 homes. Hopefully, with the market the way it is, it will take 5 or 6 years so that Fabian and I can buy one!

BethanyJoy said...

Sorry....I know you don't know me but we live in the Heights and are looking at moving to Katy (we lived there 6 years before we got married). We LOVED the Martha Stewart Homes...but have you found anyone that has a good idea of the quality?

Unknown said...

Hi BethanyJoy,

I don't actually know anyone who has bought one of the Martha houses, but I have visited the models 3 times and was incredibly impressed. There are so many fantastic details in the homes and they have tons of great features, both structural and aesthetic.

Have you visited Woodcreek Reserve? If you haven't, you should go see the houses in person. The subdivision is pretty far out, but you get a lot for the money. Let me know what you decide! :)

BethanyJoy said...

Paloma - We actually went to try to buy one of the homes and something weird is going on...they had to cancel all the contracts and can't close on any homes until corporate "makes a few changes". Very strange! Since we loved the style...I would like to have the pictures for reference. Can you email me the photos you took...or a link where I can download them?

bethany@themadrids.com

Thanks so much!

BethanyJoy said...

Hello again...well strange news...we actually bought one of the homes! Long long story...but we got a steal...and are closing the third week of February. It's a floorplan they didn't have a model of and is wonderful! 26107 Wooded Hollow Lane You are welcome to come see it anytime and I would LOVE some decorating advice! Just shoot me an email... bethany@themadrids.com

Thanks!
Bethany