photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, September 9, 2013

Best of British: David Collins

Snip20130718_136 {David Collins, designer of some of the world’s most iconic hospitality spaces, passed away in his sleep on July 17, 2013 surrounded by his family and friends. He was diagnosed with malignant skin cancer just three weeks prior.}

This summer, I was devastated to hear about the death of one of my design idols, David Collins of David Collins Studio. I've admired his work for many years now. Each of his projects is exquisite and extraordinarily inspiring. David designed some of the most beautiful commercial spaces in the world. I will remember him fondly as he was always so kind to me, sending me a sweet personal note whenever I blogged about his work. We even talked about planning a visit to his studio the next time I was in London. It's so sad to be here now and know that he no longer is. I am hoping to visit some of his iconic spaces while we are in London this week. Since the theme on the blog this week is the "Best of British", David absolutely had to be included.  He will be remembered as a prolific British designer who in my opinion, created some of the most important and memorable commercial spaces in the world.

image {The Connaught Bar, London}
image{The Connaught Hotel, London}
 image {Massimo Restaurant at The Corinthia Hotel, London}
image
{Northall Restaurant at The Corinthia Hotel, London}
image {The Corinthia Hotel, London}
image
{Private Apartment, Bangkok}
image{ The Ritz-Carlton Residences Mahanakhon, Bangkok}
image{The London Hotel, New York}
image {The Wolseley Restaurant, London}
image
{Artesian Bar at The Langham Hotel, London}
image
{Artesian Bar at The Langham Hotel, London}
image {Claridge’s Bar at Claridge’s Hotel, London}
image {The Blue Bar at The Berkeley Hotel, London}
image {Lime Wood Hotel, New Forest, England}
image {Lime Wood Hotel, New Forest, England}
image {Scarpetta Restaurant at Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach}
image{Alexander McQueen Boutique, Miami}
image {Alexander McQueen Men’s Store, Saville Row, London}


{Images Courtesy of David Collins Studio}

4 comments:

Karena said...

Such a sad loss of a brilliant man. Thank you for featuring David's Stunning Design work Paloma!

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series

Anonymous said...

Terribly shocking.
The Connaught and Blue Bar have always been my favourite watering holes.

Unknown said...

I did not know him, I did not even know of him (how astonishing it seems when I see his work). Thank you for bringing him to my attention. So sorry a talent like him no longer graces our world.

Unknown said...

HORRIBLE NOTICE!!! PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST WORLD DECORATORS. I KNOWED IN YOUR BLOG.